The erstwhile Dutch colony and origin of "Vande Mataram" - The national song of India
Fort Gustavus built by Dutch in 1687
View of the Dutch settlement from the river Hooghly in the 17th century
The Portuguese founded the town of Hooghly-Chuchura in 1537. After the Portuguese left, the Dutch arrived here way back in 1628. The Dutch erected a factory on the site of the town in 1656. In 1824 Chinsurah ceded to British.
*Some major tourist attractions *
Bandel Church ( The Basilica of the Holy Rosary )
The Basilica of the Holy Rosary commonly known as Bandel Church is one of the oldest Christian churches in West Bengal, India. Situated in Bandel, Hooghly district of West Bengal, it stands as a memorial to the Portuguese settlement in Bengal. Founded in 1599, it is dedicated to Nossa Senhora do Rosário, Our Lady of the Rosary.
Hooghly Imambara is a beautiful mosque cum Imambara situated in the Hoogly district of West Bengal. The construction of the Hooghly Imambara was started by Muhammad Mohsin in 1841, which completed in 1861.
Chinsurah Clock Tower (Ghorir mor)
Located at a crossing and at the very centre of the town the clock tower was constructed in 1914 in honor of Edward VII.
Dutch Cemetery is a Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected site.The cemetery contains a assortment of graves scattered under the shade of ancient trees. The oldest date back to 1743 while the newest one is on 1840.
Susana Annmaria's tomb
Just outside the town of Chinsurah or Chuchura, on the Grand Trank Road (G T Rd.) is the temple styled grave of Susana Annmaria. Susanna Annamaria was a Dutch Lady married to an Englishman named Mr Yeats. Although nothing much is known neither about the lady or her husband. Built in 1809 the Octagonal structure is an ideal example of Indo – Dutch architecture. The two storied octagonal structure, with arched gateways and slender columns is crowned with a dome. The tomb contains no epitaph but the name Susanna Annamaria is inscribed in the drum of the dome.
Bandemataram House at Joraghat. The national song of India "Bandemataram" was composed in this house by the great literary figure Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay when he was posted as Dy Magistrate here.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva the Sandeshwari Temple complex houses several other smaller temples and shrines. The temple also houses two brass drums and a brass Shiva Linga, which are taken out for public display on the last day of the Bengali calendar.